Re: [IP] Big Thank you to all of you

> From: "kathy" <email @ redacted>
> Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:24:12 -0400
> To: <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Big Thank you to all of you
>
> so I am wondering how
> the paramedics
> and people at the hospital would handle my pump if I couldnt do.

The bottom line is that there are very few people in a hospital trained to
manage a person on a pump.  The first thing they will do if you can't do it
yourself is to remove the pump. Then they will muddle and I do mean muddle
through with a very basic form of MDI if you are very lucky.

The vast majority of doctors (over 90%) are not equipped to manage a Type I
diabetic. You need to have an trained advocate with you at all times.  I was
hospitalized last summer with broken ribs and in 3 days no one even asked me
if I needed insulin and my diabetic doc had ordered them to do all kind of
things which they didn't do.

Andy