From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Ricardo
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 7:49 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] protein and insulin

Janette Wrote:
...What you are hearing is real life individual experiences with BGs
after consuming large amounts of protein.  Check the recommended
dietary advice for T1's in 1959 and Insulin regime's 45+ years ago.
There were no pumps; no fast acting analogue insulins and certainly
a very restricted dietary regime

Ricardo Responds:
I think the advice for covering protein is even more critical with
pumps and fast acting analogues than it was in 1959.

On MDI, any late rise due to protein was partially or wholly covered
by the long acting insulin, even if the patient did not take into
account their protein intake. With insulin pumps, fast acting insulin
and the 2 - 3 hour delay in large amounts of protein affecting BG,
some of us have to  compensate with a dual wave (combo) bolus.

Ricardo
Dx'd 1967, Pumping since 1/14/2004 w/ Animas IR1000 and since
7/2/2004 w/ the Animas IR1200