Re: [IP] protein and insulin

>  What's the problem with reinfusing the islets every year or so such
>  that they
> would be replenished before glucose intolerance sets in?

The present technology encapsulates the islets in a porus container
where the openings are large enough to let nutrients through but not
large enough to let cells from the immune system inside. These
"capsules" are injected into the peritonial space and are quickly
surrounded by body tissue. They are virtually impossible to remove and
can not be "opened" or replenished. You also can not keep adding more
and more of them as the old cells die. Therein lies the problem.

If the capsules are larger then there is not adequate nutrient flow to
the cells inside and they die more quickly. You have to remember that
with this technique, you are attempting to replace an organ without
providing any hookup to the body's blood/nutrient supply. Having the
capsules work at all depends on them being bathed in the nutrients
floating around in your body cavity. It is a compromise, workable in
the short term, but not the long term unless the figure out how to
remove the capsules. Since they are scattered all around "inside" this
is a difficult task.

Michael