Re: [IP] Re: Surgery

> In a message dated 7/11/2006 4:32:16 PM Central America Standard Tim,
> email @ redacted writes:
>
> What is  the reasoning for the basal being cut in half? If the basal is
> set properly  the BG won't raise or fall for a long time. On injections
> the insulin was  cut in half because no food was consumed That would
> cause you Bg's to drop  low.
>
> John S Wilkinson,
> Rome, New York
>

> I wonder if the doctor suggested lowering the basal...  For some
> reason, my family doctor believes that bg's go low during a surgery, but
> mine  actually go higher, so that I actually have to INCREASE my basal
> rate, and for  days afterward.

I have a friend that is an anesthesiologist. We've discussed T1's and
surgery at some length. His preference is to have bg's around 200 so
that if something 'bad' happens that requires extraordinary effort on
his part, that is one less thing to worry about. He won't have his
patient go low due to shock or whatever... while he's trying to keep
them stable. He's fine with the pump being on, he just wants some
margin for error if there is a problem. If the surgery is long and bg's
rise, he will give insulin as required.

Michael