[IP] Re: Bolusing for protein

My understanding is that protein, especially if eaten to excess, is
partially digested into glucose, but that the process takes time.  If
you eat the same fraction of protein all the time, this is folded
into your basal and c/i ratios and you can get away with bolusing for
carbs only.  If you eat much more or less than your usual amount of
protein, it can affect your blood sugar.  I use (and my c/i ratio is
set) c + .5 protein, and dual wave if I'm eating lots of protein.
Had one meal recently with prime rib, salmon, cod and halibut and
only a little carb with it.  I was guesstimating the amount of
protein at 80 gm, but with a 6 hour dual I was pretty level for about
6 hours and then started to climb early the next morning.  The other
pumper at the same meal spiked, so it's very much YMMV on timing.
--
Sue Ann Bowling, North Pole, Alaska