  From: email @ redacted<mailto:email @ redacted>
  To: email @ redacted<mailto:email @ redacted>
  Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 12:40 PM
  Subject: [IP] Re: Cataract Surgery

   Both my Dad and Sister (non-diabetic) had cataracts at age 42. I had mine
  removed at age 44. I could have waited longer but since I was very
nearsighted I
  thought I might was well go ahead with it. There are different types of
  cataracts (I don't remember the specifics now). I had two different types -
one
  was more related to "old age" cataracts and the other possibly caused by
the
  diabetes. I feel fortunate that this is my only "complication" after nearly
33
  years. It actually was a plus since my eyes were -10 and -11 diopters and
were
  corrected to around -1 so now I can even drive without glasses and before I
  couldn't see more that 3 inches from my nose without correction.

   My eye doctor didn't want me to keep my pump on during the surgery because
he
  was afraid it would give me too much insulin and I would go low. I told him
it
  would not do that and now I don't remember whether I had it on or not. It's
  very quick procedure. He also insisted that I contact my endo for
instructions
  which I didn't do because I had tested my basals and knew I would fine.

  Laurie