Re: [IP] DexCom system accuracy and Paradigm RT alerts

Dave asked:

and Rick Stockton wrote:

> 2. If you were in fresh water (lake, river) the Sensor would just be
> suffering an extreme case of "sweating". I don't know about Chlorine in
> pools or hot tubs, that might damage the Sensor in an irreversible way.
> (I suspect that it WOULD.)

Sorry to come in a bit late on this - I was out of town all last week.
And, among other things, I went swimming in a chlorinated pool a few
times with my Dexcom.

I wore a shower patch each time, but it definitely didn't keep all the
water out.  The sensor/transmitter got pretty wet, but I think the patch
did keep them from just sitting immersed in water for significant
periods of time.  To be clear, I think the Dexcom recommendation against
getting the sensor wet is not due to any long-term damage to the sensor
itself, but to the black transmitter part that sits on top.  It is
sealed, but nothing is perfectly sealed, so I suspect the concern is
water getting inside the transmitter.

The sensor getting wet did cause the "shower spike" (incorrect high
readings) problem, but then it worked fine after drying out in a few
hours.

Hope this helps,

Eric