[IP] Hearta Surgery and the pump

I celebrated my 70th birthday in 2005 having quadruple by-pass surgery.

I went to my endo thinking I had another problem--no chest pains.  Learned
that neuropathy can hide heart pains.

At the time I had been on a MM712 for about a year.  They took me off it just
before surgery and put me on insulin drip.   My BG went wild and I fussed
about their treatment and called for my pump.  After much opposition from the
cardiac care unit, I got my pump and meter back.

Had a bit of trouble getting carb info from the dieticians--they thought
calories was all I needed.  Finally got my BG under control and was sent home.
(After 3 weeks in the hospital total.)

The first words my endo said to me: "I hear you're going to teach the cardiac
unit about pumps."  "Someone needs to," I replied.  "They are," he said.