Re: [IP] Minimed CGMS Realtime or DexCom

Antonio wrote:
> If you use either system independently, it seems like you
> would have too many gizmos attached to you with a pump,
> infusion set, sensor, and CGM display.

First, I'll remind you that I'm a thrilled Dexcom user... but,
one with great respect for thrilled Minimed users such as
Nikos.

Antonio, I welcome your opinion... but at the same time, I
recommend to Jacob that he put a little more emphasis on
those replies from people who actually own and use
the devices he's asking about.

Antonio, I feel that your "two many gizmos attached" is
not really valid for either system:

With Minimed, the pump is already present and attached
in an inconvenient manner (infusion set tubing). The CGM
display is INTEGRATED, adding no additional "attachments".

You do have a small additional 'attachment'
between the Sensor and the Transmitter, so there's
two more things on your skin. But the PUMP/DISPLAY
was ALREADY THERE, not a lot of additional gizmos or
attachments to route through your clothing.

With Dexcom, the 'Transmitter' clips right into the 'Sensor',
and both of them together are tiny, with no tubing or wiring
to ANYTHING ELSE. (Like an infusion set WITHOUT the tubing.)

And so, the Dexcom Display unit ('Receiver') doesn't have
to be ATTACHED anywhere... in fact, their belt clip sucks, I
keep mine loose in a pocket. OTOH, there IS a risk of
actually LOSING the Dexcom Receiver, and finding yourself
out $550 for a replacement. (You could take it out at a
Restaurant, leave it on the table instead of putting it back
in your pocket, some creep thinks it's a cell phone
to steal, and POOF.)

Unless you get a good deal on the MM upgrade, or some
kind of Discount, Dexcom is cheaper to start up:
special price $500 includes two Sensors. It's more like
$800 if you actually count the money you would pay to
match the more generous MM upgrade kit, which comes
with 10 Sensors.

I (and another member) find Dexcom Sensors to last a
really long time-- my current one is on day 15, still good,
and my previous one lasted 17, and she just quit after 15
days (it was still OK). Nikos also reports good Sensor life
with Minimed, but slightly less (longest 14 days, previous
posts listed 7-11 days).

I chose Dexcom because I have a different pump, and
the price difference was therefore greatly in favor of
Dexcom. Per all my posts, it's been life changing.

But keeping the Sensor absolutely dry is a BIG hassle,
I will switch to Abbott if their pricing is competitive.
(Although I love it, I have ZERO "loyalty" to
my brand: if something else beats it in the future,
I'll ditch it in a flash.)

One person is greatly disappointed with Minimed, for a
reason which surprised me: It isn't loud enough to wake
him up. Because you can put it anywhere, even clip it
on your collar (again, there's no tubing involved) this
isn't a problem with Dexcom... anywhere near your ear,
it'll wake the dead.