[IP] 50 Years

I'll be celebrating my 50 years with diabetes on April 1, 2007.  In
anticipation of that, I contacted the hospital where I was diagnosed.  They
have a website and an email contact address.  I wrote and asked them if it
were possible to send me a copy of my notes.  They were very gracious and
helpful, and I received the copy within days.  In the meantime, I was also
filling out paperwork for Joslin for my daughter's 25-year recognition
certificate.  I had kept her hospital notes in her baby book since she was
diagnosed at the age of two.  In her family history, our family doctor noted
that I had had diabetes since the age of six.  When I sent her paperwork to
Joslin (before I received the notes from my hospital) I asked if that
notation would suffice for documentation for me.  They sent me a letter
saying that I would receive a medal in April.  So, the answer was that that
was enough to document my duration of diabetes.  I guess I'll use my
hospital notes for Lilly if needed.  As far as receiving recognition for
surviving diabetes, I am elated to reach that milestone.  My daughter, who
is a very strong and strong-willed lady, was surprisingly quite touched with
the 25-year certificate.

Brenda H. Martinez

8611 Otter Creek Ct.

Orlando, FL 32829