Re: [IP] 50 years

>>>Thanks to Tom, Shawna, Linda and all I have decided to
> pursue the 50 year award from Joslin. <snip>

When people apply for the 50-yr award they help make a truer statistic
of survivors. Joslin actually cannot know unless they have actual,
counted figures. *They* say there are 18m DMers in the USA, 1m are T-1s
and about 4m do not know. How do they know that? It's an estimate. It
doesn't seem to change over the years, either. If ppl catch on to the
symptoms and get checked, thus dx'd, then it is reported as an epidemic.

At Joslin I asked why my friend who has had DM 71 yrs was not in on the
research, I was told the awards that those who were given before a
certain date, were assumed passed on.

The truer the statistics, the more hope those who are dx'd today are
given for longevity. If we survived from the very dark ages, they have a
much better chance now.

Jan T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) Dialyzing 7/8/02
http://maxpages.com/bludasue  - http://maxpages.com/TSLandCLIP  -
http://www.picturetrail.com/dmBASHpics (evolution of pumps)

You can use statistics to prove anything that's remotely true - 63% of
people know that.