Re: [IP] 50 years

> How does one actually go about getting proof of diagnosis from a
> hospital?

 By the time I tried to get my awards, it had been 46 years. I wrote a letter to
the hospital and they had no records back to 1958. They wrote back and said they
did not keep them that long. The doctor who diagnosed me has died. Instead I got
a letter from my current doctor that said she had been treating me for the past
16 years and that I had been diagnosed a Type 1 in 1958.

 I also am an only child and have no living relatives any longer. I have a best
friend since childhood. She wrote a letter for me, as did her older sister. My
friend and I were only five when I was diagnosed, but she told what she
remembered about it. Her sister was seven.

 I sent this letter from the hospital, the letter from my current doctor, and
the two letters from my friends. This was sufficient for both the Joslin and
Lilly awards, In fact Joslin said since it was so close to me getting the 50
year award, they would just keep the paperwork on file and I wouldn't have to
refile in 2008.

Judi in MI