RE: [IP] surgery questions

Dear Kay and Jenny,

  I had cataract surgery in May. The surgery was only 25 minutes and fortunately
I was able to keep my pump on. The nurses seemed relieved that I was "on top" of
my B.S. and that they didn't have to be.

  I was told to let my blood sugar run a little high in case I had a reaction to
the meds they gave me. I let it go to 160 and all went well. After the surgery,
I bolused right away. Simple!

  I am sorry about the timing of this for you, Jenny. I sincerely hope that it
doesn't effect your camp counselor experience.

  I was told about the possible risks of my surgery and did my share of worrying
beforehand, but I was so very, very fortunate to have sailed through it without
any problems. I wish you the same experience and will keep you in my prayers.

  --Yvonne

Stephen Golden <email @ redacted> wrote:
  Unless they need to work where the site is I would say no to removing my
pump. If the surgeon refuses find another surgeon. I found that in the
Hospital when they wanted to manage it their own way they screwed it (My BG
ranged from 400 to 65). I would consult with your Endo re settings. For an
hour I do not think you would need to test but you should test when she
wakes up because stress effects people in different ways.