Re: [IP] met a young pumper hopeful!

At 08:44 AM 7/1/2006, email @ redacted wrote:
>I do not meet many young
>diabetic at work, mostly older ones who say they can't drink a sweet drink but
>order all kinds of food with lots and lots of carbs!!!!! In older I mean in
>their late 60's and 70's who have just been diagnosed! No offense intended for
>those who are "older" on IP. I just get worried about a lot of the older folks
 >who don't have great doctors like a lot of people. Living in an area where
there
>are not that many doctors to choose from who know a lot about diabetes is sort
>of scarey.

 The sad thing about many older Type 2s is that they tend to go to family
doctors and are only told to avoid sugar. No one really takes the time to
explain to them about how carbs turn into "sugar" after they eat them. In my
area now, many hospitals offer diabetes training classes that discuss nutrition
and are geared towards the newly diagnosed Type 2s. Hopefully many can attend
these classes which, in Michigan, insurance must cover.

RoseLea