[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #428

In a message dated 7/31/2003 3:53:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Subject: [IP] Re: Johnson/humor, Type 1 vs. Type 2
> >>- -sounds a little like something that came up a few months ago
> >
> >LOOK:
> >
> >You may call him Raymond Johnson
> >others my call him Ray J Johnson
> >still, others my call him RJ Johnson
> >yet others my call him Raymond Jay Johnson Jr.
> >BUT, you know what ??
> >to All, hes "Mr Johnson"
> >
> >(some of you, will get that, others wont)
> >(if you need to hear it.... go here:
> http://www.tvparty.com/sounds8/reddray.ram
> >
> >Like it matters soooo much, what its called, and why.???<<
> I freely admit it bothers me that, within the diabetic community,
> some people don't know, or care to know, the difference between the
> types of diabetes.  That bothers me more than the general public not
> knowing, which we complain about often on this list.
> The reason it is important to me is that I have a 16 y/o son who was
> dx at age 9.  I can't tell you how many times people have said, and
> still do, things like "why is he using insulin and not just taking
> medicine?", "oh, his diabetes must be really bad if he has to take
> insulin" (ditto that sentence and change insulin to the word pump),
> "did he eat a lot of sugar when he was little?", "why don't you
> restrict his carbs and have him do regular exercise so he doesn't
> have to use insulin?", "it's good that he has it now, maybe he'll
> outgrow it", and my favorite, the overweight Type 2 diabetic who now
> uses insulin and says "Yeah, I'm a Type 1, too."  If diabetics
> themselves are giving incorrect information to others, that just
> further complicates the whole understanding issue.  I have run across
> many Type 2 diabetics who think they are Type 1 because they have
> progressed to insulin.  Anyway, you get the point.  And I'm not
> implying that ALL Type 2's are overweight.  My dad is Type 2 and is
> not overweight at all.  But being overweight and lack of exercise are
> the biggest factors in developing Type 2.  I don't want my son to be
> in that classification.  No matter what he did or didn't do, he would
> still have Type 1.  If that makes me a pain in the butt, I'll accept
> that.
> Okay.  I'm sure everyone is tired of seeing my posts to the list on
> this subject.  I'll shut up now.  Just wanted everyone to know where
> I'm coming from.
> Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99

OK, I'm the one who started all of this and I just have to comment again, as
my point was totally overlooked by many people. I was not saying that people
who have Type 2 are inferior, I wish I could be a Type 2 and just take a pill,
like some do. My point was that people who have had diabetes as a child go
through different experiences from people who get it as an adult. My point is
 that there should be a different classification and as I review hospital charts
for a living, I see the doctors really using a classification called type 2
insulin requiring, and perhaps the ADA should look into it.