[IP] Re: Scared of an infusion set

>>>How much does putting in an infusion set hurt?
<snip> Could people give an honest comparison between infusion sets and
shots, and
maybe a few hints about how you might have dealt with these fears in
yourself (or your children)?>>>

I can relate to your dilemma. One of the hardest things I ever did was put
that first practice infusion set in my belly knowing it would stay there for
three days! That was 20 years ago. Some of the infusion sets have inserters
making it easier to do without thinking. I use the SofSets and a SofSerter.

When I was a kid we had 26g steel needles that we used until they got fish
hooks on the end, then sharpened them on a whetstone. OUCH!!! I bawled so
hard the neighbors thought I was getting beaten. We got an automatic
injector which cut down the *contemplation/procrastination* aspect, but we
had to do it at least once a day. You could chill the spot with a can of
cold soda pop and that will take the edge off, but I use nothing for
infusion sites and verrrrrrrrry rarely feel them - going in or staying in. I
do have to use Emla Cream on my forearm for the two 15g dialysis needles and
that doesn't always do it even with 1.5 hrs lead time.

Have your CDE walk you through your first insertion - or someone here
suggested sitting on an overstuffed chair and insert a set into the arm of
the chair to get the *feel* for it. It helped the person they had advised.

Hope it works out well for you - it's that first step that's the hardest.
Betcha you'll be saying like most of the others, "Why didn't I do this years
ago?" after you start. (~_^)

Every new journey begins with the first step