Re: [IP] Re: later onset DM-MODY

In a message dated 7/30/2003 11:56:07 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> But just for the record...the term for children with type II is MODY just
> as
> those adults with type I's are LADA's. MODY stands for Maturity Onset
> Diabetes
> of the Young.

Dear Liz,
MODY is a separate type of diabetes.  It is highly hereditary, being
 autosomnal dominant. But if differs from type 2 in that patients have a defect
 insulin secretion or glucose metabolism and ARE NOT resistant to insulin. MODY
accounts for 2% of diabetes worldwide.  My daughter had blood work done to see
if she was MODY, but to be MODY, my husband would need to develop diabetes in
the next few years (his dad was characterized as type 1 50 years ago).  MODY
is very different from type 2 in kids.
mom to Nicole (4) dxd 10/01 pumping 4/03
Kelly (8), Blake (6) and Luke (2)