[IP] Diabetes Interview Article on Contact Lenses

I hate to change the heated discussion on the different "types" of diabetes,
but I was wondering if anyone here caught the newsclip in the most recent
issue of Diabetes Interview that mentioned that researchers at a university in
Pittsburgh believe they could be ready for trials/testing of contact lenses
that would change color based on blood glucose levels by 2004?

Basically, the idea is that the color of the lens (outside) would change if
you were very low or very high (outside of the normal range), which would be
great for those of us with hypoglycemic unawareness  (or severely impaired
epinephrine response), because avoiding low BG's doesn't really do much to
restore the classic symptoms -- shakiness, sweating, etc., and the symptoms I
do get aren't always easy to recognize.  Basically, I've dealt with it by
always testing for reassurance if there is ever any question in my mind, but
that doesn't come cheap with the cost of testing supplies.  Sometimes its
difficult (for example, it would be difficult to do such a reassarnce test
while driving, but I could look in the rear view mirror to see if there was
any reason to stop someplace to do a finger-stick test.

I also read a while back about a tattoo that could do something similar,
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2225404.stm) but haven't heard anything
about the current status of that item.  That might be kind of cool just to
have a tattoo that changed colors, and someone without diabetes couldn't get

What are anyone's responses (I'll avoid using the word 'reaction' here!) to
these things?  Anyone know if they want people to volunteer for testing?

Dx'd Type 1 9/1976 at age 7; pumping with Animas R1000 since 6/2002 at age 33