[IP] Re: later onset DM

>>Jan (64 y/o, dx'd T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM507C 3/99) wrote:
Let me emphasize two words in the above: "MOST people who develop diabetes
in later life can be controlled. . ."  And, "Late onset diabetes USUALLY
means that a person. . ."  Therefore, nothing is set in concrete. There is
now an epidemic of children with Type-2 and many adults dx'd with Type-1.
That is the reason these *conditions* were renamed T-1 and T-2, shedding the
Juvenile Onset DM and Adult Onset DM. The medical terms had to change
because they no longer fit all situations. Hey, even pumps have been
developed in just the last few decades, as well as home BG testing.<<

For sure many children are now being diagnosed as Type 2, which makes
this whole process of distinguishing the types difficult.  : )  I
wish they would rename T1 to immune-mediated diabetes or something
that indicated it was an auto-immune disease.  Most people have no
idea it is an auto-immune disease.

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99