[IP] Hypoglycemia / heart attack

When we suffer from a hypoglycemic event, our bodies counter with a
release of epinephrine.  This in turn increases heart rate while
constricting our blood vessels.  For those who are at risk for a heart
attack, this creates the ideal conditions (the heart is working harder
because it is beating faster, but the flow of oxygen is less because the
blood vessels leading back to the heart are constricted).  I would say
that a hypoglycemic episode would be similar to excessive exercise.  Both
may lead a cardiac high risk patient into a myocardial infarction.  Also
remember that diabetes makes us high risk to begin with.

Mike from Wisconsin

Subject: [IP] Hypoglycemia and heart attack
My husband has a long history of hypoglycemia and the episodes have become

more and more frequent in recent weeks.  We have numerous family members
 type 2 diabetes and a grandchild with type 1. When our grandchild's blood
is too low he has a rapid heart beat along with other symptoms.  Today, my

husband started feeling really sick and thinking it might be hypoglycemia,
ate a candy bar.  He broke out in a sweat that absolutely soaked his
He had shaking and had dry heaves.  He had no chest pains or other
 that might make one suspect a heart attack. Someone called the squad who
his blood sugar and said it was a little over 100 but he had irregular
rhythm.  At the hospital they also said he has an enlarged heart.  They
monitoring him and considering the possibility that he had a heart attack.
 seems a little confused - slow responses. My question is, "Does the heart
off an irregular rhythm during a hypoglycemic episode?"   Have you ever
of a hypo episode leading to a heart attack?  Of course I am well aware
anyone can have a heart attack so I am not saying that the heart problem
necessarily related to a blood sugar problem.