Re: [IP] Re: later onset DM

In a message dated 7/30/03 1:17:02 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> LizMODY - or Maturity Onset Diabetes of Youth -
> is a whole separate disease, caused by a gene mutation.I also believe that
> - or Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults - is a separate disease from type
> 1.
> It comes on very slowly rather than quickly (as type 1 does) and has some,
> but
> not all, of the markers of type 1.(BTW, the "type" classifications were
> changed
> in the mid-1990s to Arabic numbers: type 1 and type 2.)Jan and ElvisToo
> Okay, back to my favorite source: The National Diabetes Information
> Clearinghouse, but this time, their dictionary:
> http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/dictionary/K-O.htm#M
> It states that MODY is a type of type II diabetes. Granted it does say that
> the
> cause is due to a defect in one of six known genes. But it is still type II.

What you said was: "> But just for the record...the term for children with
 > type II is MODY just as those adults with type I's are LADA's. MODY stands
> Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young."

The way I read that was *all* children with type 2 have MODY and that *all*
adults who develop type 1 have LADA.

That isn't true. MODY may be a form of type 2, but all children with type 2
do not have MODY. Most just plain 'ol have type 2.

>From what I understand (from reading reserch; not dictionaries), they are
separate diseases, or subsets, if you will: mutant gene versus insulin

Also, (from what I understand from reading research) LADA is a *form* of type
1, but comes on very slowly instead of quickly and does not have all of the
markers of rapid-onset type 1. *Some* people who develop type 1 as adults have
LADA (and are usually misdiagnosed as type 2), but not *all* people who
develop type 1 in adulthood have LADA.

They are separate diseases - slow development versus rapid development and
without all of the same markers..

Jan and ElvisToo