Re: [IP] Re: later onset DM

 -- On Wed 07/30, < email @ redacted > wrote:

 From: [mailto: email @ redacted]To: email @ redacted: Wed, 30 Jul
2003 13:28:59 EDTSubject: Re: [IP] Re: later onset DM> But just for the
record...the term for children with type II is MODY just > as> those
adults with type I's are LADA's. MODY stands for Maturity Onset >
Diabetes> of the Young. Sorry LizMODY - or Maturity Onset Diabetes of Youth -
is a whole separate disease, caused by a gene mutation.I also believe that LADA
- or Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults - is a separate disease from type 1.
It comes on very slowly rather than quickly (as type 1 does) and has some, but
not all, of the markers of type 1.(BTW, the "type" classifications were changed
in the mid-1990s to Arabic numbers: type 1 and type 2.)Jan and ElvisToo
 Okay, back to my favorite source: The National Diabetes Information
Clearinghouse, but this time, their dictionary:
 It states that MODY is a type of type II diabetes. Granted it does say that the
cause is due to a defect in one of six known genes. But it is still type II.
 As for LADA: it is defined as a condition in which type I developes in
adults...not as a separate disease but as type I. Liz

Eliminate pop-ups before they appear!
Visit www.PopSwatter.com now - It's FREE.