Re: [IP] Re: later onset DM

In a message dated 7/30/03 11:54:24 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> But just for the record...the term for children with type II is MODY just
> as
> those adults with type I's are LADA's. MODY stands for Maturity Onset
> Diabetes
> of the Young.

Sorry Liz

MODY - or Maturity Onset Diabetes of Youth - is a whole separate disease,
caused by a gene mutation.

I also believe that LADA - or Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults - is a
separate disease from type 1. It comes on very slowly rather than quickly (as
type 1 does) and has some, but not all, of the markers of type 1.

(BTW, the "type" classifications were changed in the mid-1990s to Arabic
numbers: type 1 and type 2.)

Jan and ElvisToo