Re: [IP] Re: later onset DM

Children with type 2 are not MODY in spite of the name.

MODY is caused by a change in a single gene.  5 genes have been identified
that account for 87% of UK MODY:

       HNF1-a

       Glucokinase

       HNF1-b (including Renal Cysts and Diabetes (RCAD))

       HNF4-a

       IPF1

Changes in these different genes lead to different types of MODY.  For more
information about these different types of MODY please click on one of the
above.

There are still more genes to identify as 13% of MODY is not yet accounted
for.

  1.. Shepherd M. (2001)  Recognising maturity-onset diabetes of the young
(MODY).  Journal of Diabetes Nursing.  5, 6, 168-172.

  2.. Shepherd M, Ellis I, Ahmad AM, Todd PJ, Bowen-Jones D, Mannion G,
Ellard S, Sparkes AC, Hattersley AT. (2001) Predictive genetic testing in
maturity-onset diabetes of the young (MODY).  Diabetic Medicine.  18,
417-421.

  3.. Shepherd M, Sparkes AC, Hattersley AT. (2001) Genetic testing in
maturity onset diabetes of the young (MODY): a new challenge for the
diabetic clinic.  Practical Diabetes.  18, 1, 16-21.

  4.. Shepherd M, Ellis I, Ahmad AM, Todd PJ, Bowen-Jones D, Mannion G,
Ellard S, Sparkes AC, Hattersley AT. (2001)  Diabetic Medicine.  18, 5,
417-421.

  5.. Shepherd M, Hattersley AT, Sparkes AC.  (2000)  Lay beliefs about
maturity-onset diabetes of the young.  Journal of Diabetes Nursing.  4, 5,
140-143.

  6.. Shepherd M, Hattersley AT, Sparkes AC, (2000)  Predictive Genetic
Testing in Diabetes:  A Case Study of Multiple Perspectives.  Qualitative
Health Research.  10, 2, 242-259.

  7.. Shepherd MH (2000)  Attitudes of patients and professionals to genetic
testing in diabetes, with specific reference to maturity-onset diabetes of
the young (MODY).  PhD thesis - University of Exeter

I know I am a MODY, atleast 3rd generation.

Siles

>  But just for the record...the term for children with type II is MODY just
as
> those adults with type I's are LADA's. MODY stands for Maturity Onset
Diabetes