Re: [IP] vision impairment and insulin pumps

On 7/30/03 6:53 AM, "Justin Daubenmire" <email @ redacted> Demonstrated
stellar typing skills by writing:

> Hi.
> I am new to the list and have been a type 1 diabetic for 25 years. I was
> diagnosed at age 5 and am 31 now. I am currently using insulin shots to
> manage my diabetes and am considering going onto a pump for tighter control
> but am blind.
> I lost my eyesight from diabetic retinopathy at age 17. All other body parts
> functioning properly smile.
> Is there anyone on the list who is visually impaired, having some site, or
> blind like me? If so, can you suggest an insulin pump that is somewhat
> accessible prior to me purchasing one?
> I know that no insulin pump is speech enabled but perhaps models that tbeep
> when you press the button to release insulin or anything that might help a
> blind person use a pump.
> Even people who are sighted -- if you have brands/models that beep when you
> press the button to release insulin or that beep when your line is kinked or
> that beep when you are out of insulin etc. Can you recommend any brands  or
> models that are accessible for someone with low vision or no vision at all?
> Thanks
> Justin

Justin, I grew up with Retinopathy of Prematurity. 3 months preemie, and
gave retina detachment and scarring there from too much oxygen. I guess what
I never had, I do not miss.... I will be sending you a NICE eNewsletter from
the National Federation of the Blind called "The Voice Of the Diabetic. In
it there are articles about pumping, among other things for us.

*I* chose the Disetronic when I started to pump 9 years ago, but they were
the only ones with an audible bolus at the time, and now pretty much all
pumps offer this.

I hope the VOD newsletter helps you, and I wanted to tell you here, onlist
that I'm sending it so you didn't think I was just a spammer or something.

I have some rudimentary vision having to look up close to any work, other
than the computer which has Read to me abilities and also I can use the Zoom
Text feature.

Look for the newsletter in the next few minutes from this post.

-- When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to youth, think of

Jenny Sutherland