[IP] Re: Type 1 vs. Type 2

"Insulin requiring type 2 diabetes" is a different condition from type 1
diabetes.  An "insulin requiring type 2" has a pancreas that produces
insulin, but takes insulin to better control his/her blood sugars. Many may
take very large doses of insulin to compensate for insulin resistance.
However, an insulin-requiring type 2 will not die in a matter of days
without insulin as a type 1 would, hence the difference between
"insulin-requiring" and "insulin dependent".  (At least that's how I've
always understood it).  Age of diagnosis has nothing to do with it.  Any
doctor who didn't understand this difference could easily put patients in
serious danger!

I am type 1, diagnosed at age 21 in ketoacidosis.  You are right that I do
not know what it would be like to live with this disease as a child, and
I'm grateful that I was spared that experience. I'm also glad my parents
didn't have to go through the stress and worry of raising a child with type
1.  However, that doesn't mean that what I have is a different disease than
what you have.  Type 1 diabetes is a condition  in which the pancreas does
not produce insulin, and the patient must take insulin daily to
survive.  This condition can occur at any age.

Think of it this way: a five-year-old diagnosed with cancer will have a
much different experience than a 50-year-old diagnosed with cancer.  the
50-year-old could not say that they know first-hand what the 5-year-old is
experiencing.  However, that doesn't mean that the 50-year-old doesn't have