Re: [IP] Re: Gestational Diabetes

In a message dated 7/29/2003 3:52:34 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> In a few women, however, pregnancy uncovers type 1 or
> type 2 diabetes.  It is hard to tell whether these women have
> gestational diabetes or have just started showing their diabetes
> during pregnancy.

I was never tested for gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my first
daughter, who just turned 21.  She weighed 10 lb 9 oz at birth.
Eight months later, I had a miscarriage because my blood sugar was very high.
 upon leaving the hospital, my blood sugar was "on the high side, but within
normal limits", but the Dr never talked to me about it.  Four months later, I
had just about every symptom of diabetes.  (Lost 40 lbs in 6 months, blurred
vision, extreme fatigue, etc, etc.).

Dr put me on pills for a month, then had me come in for a fasting bs, then
told me to go and eat anything I wanted, and have a 2 and 3 hour post-prandial
 done. I ate 3 pigs-in-a-blanket with regular syrup and chocolate chip mint ice
cream for breakfast.  Went back for blood work and my blood sugars were sky
high (imagine that?), so I was put in the hospital and started on insulin.  I
 was just thinking that no matter if I'd been on insulin back then or on a pill,
my bs would have been really high after eating all that sugar.

Anyway, I am Type 1 and  I was told years ago that the "stress of pregnancy"
may have triggered the diabetes.  (I now doubt that).  Isn't it Type 2 that
can occur from having stress in your life... like open heart surgery?

Julie   (please save your cancelled postage stamps.  Leave a 1/4-1/2 inch
           border around the stamps and mail them to:
           Mr Maynard Guss    9593 NW 26th Place  Sunrise, FL  33322.
           Please indicate these stamps are for ASAP.
          This is an on-going fund-raiser for an organization called ASAP.
  <A HREF="www.asap4sm.org">www.asap.org</A> My daughter has Chiari, a rare
brain disorder)