[IP] adult-onset type 1

My philosophy is, you are not really a Type 1 (former juvenile diabetic)
 unless you were diagnosed as a child.

I'm officially a type 1, due to the presence of islet cell antibodies.
You know why I'm defensive about this?  Because when I was (mis)diagnosed
as type 2, everything I read talked about how it could be prevented, if
ONLY you'd eat right, exercise and basically took care of yourself, even
a little.   An article I read even used the term "diabesity."  Medical
professionals are MEAN to type 2s.  I think there are people on this list
who would agree.  I truly believe that a skinny, 30-something,
honest-to-goodness type 2 who followed the diet and exercise plan I
followed would be able to live for years, or even decades without insulin
injections.  I felt like such a failure when I couldn't control my "type
2" diabetes, even though I was a size 1, exercising anywhere from 1 to 3
hours a day.  True, I don't know what it's like to live with type 1 as a
child.  And, if you compared me with my cousin who's my age, but was
diagnosed at age 16, I'm sure I have fewer complications than she does.
Finally, if I'm blowing this way out of proportion, just know I've had a
perfectly lousy day today, so I should probably just keep quiet.

One other reason I'm glad I had the antibody test and was offically
changed is that I heard (don't know for sure) that my insurance company
wouldn't pay for a pump for a type 2.  Like THAT makes any sense.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!