[IP] (no subject)

I have a similiar situation to your friend - I am 36 and was just diagnosed
as Type 1.  As my physician explained to me, the definition of Type 1 is that
it is an autoimmune disease in which the patient's body attacks the
 insulin-producing cells of the pancreas. Type 2 is when the body's cells become
 resistant to the insulin their body is still producing either normally or in

My "type" was confirmed by a blood test which identifies the presence of
 specific antibodies to the islet cells - I think it is called a GAD test. While
this type of diabetes does usually affect much younger patients whose immune
systems are still in the developmental stages, I'm living proof it can also
develop in adults.

Hope this helps.

Paula - diagnosed 6 weeks ago - pump on order