[IP] re:Question about hypoglycemia and diabetes

 --- On Tue 07/29, Kress Family < email @ redacted > wrote:

 From: Kress Family [mailto: email @ redacted]To: email @ redacted:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:04:02 -0500Subject: [IP] re:Question about hypoglycemia and
diabetes>>From: "Elizabeth Ramsey" Someone wrote in asking if hypoglycemic
episodes are a precursor to adultonset type 1 diabetes. I, too, had hypoglycemic
episodes long before I wasdiagnosed with DM. A diabetes educator told me that
this often happensbecause the pancreas is beginning to malfunction by over
producing insulin.She said that it IS in fact a warning sign that you may
develop type 1 in thefuture.<<Would you let me know ANY medical
publication or website that states hypoglycemic episodes can be a precursor to
Type 1 diabetes.>>I know cause that is what was written on my medical
chart. Hypoglycemia. Andfor years I believed it...they told me that if I didn't
*behave myself*, I wouldbecome diabetic...know something...they were right. I
had a bad case of*ostrich*.<<This doesn't make sense to
  me. Type 1 diabetes cannot be prevented so why would they advise you to
"behave yourself"?Cindy
 Cindy, you got it out of context...here is the exact email I sent out and it
was in response to what Shannon wrote:
 --- On Tue 07/29, Shannon James < email @ redacted > wrote:Subject:
[IP] re:Question about hypoglycemia and diabetesSomeone wrote in asking if
hypoglycemic episodes are a precursor to adultonset type 1 diabetes. I, too, had
hypoglycemic episodes long before I wasdiagnosed with DM. A diabetes educator
told me that this often happensbecause the pancreas is beginning to malfunction
by over producing insulin.She said that it IS in fact a warning sign that you
may develop type 1 in thefuture.
 Shannon, there is (or was) at one point in time, a condition the medical
community called *sugar reactive hypoglycemia*...which today doesn't exist but
in 1991 did. I know cause that is what was written on my medical chart.
Hypoglycemia. And for years I believed it...they told me that if I didn't
*behave myself*, I would become diabetic...know something...they were right. I
had a bad case of *ostrich*. At that time, the medical community only looked at
your fbg for diagnosis even during a GTT. And mine was 100. Never mind that my 2
hour was 265 and my 3 was 60. They ONLY looked at the fasting. But if I didn't
eat, I bottomed out in a hurry and I was forever getting too busy to eat. Seven
years later, my fasting was 265. I wasn't a type I even with hypoglycemia. So
alot of it depends on the type or reason for the hypoglycemia. But this thread
HAS given me a clue as to the reason someone else may be having trouble...she is
hypoglycemic and can't figure out why...this morning I
 suggested she get tested for type I...thanks to y'all. Liz