Re: [IP] Really type 1 (renamed)

At 02:58 PM 7/29/2003, you wrote:
> >   My philosophy is, you are not really a Type 1 (former juvenile diabetic)
> >   unless you were diagnosed as a child. If you haven't been a child taking
> >   and
> >   dealing with diabetes, I don't care what the medical community calls it,
> >   are not really a Type 1.

By definition..

Type 1. An auto-immune disease in which the body does not produce any
insulin, most often occurring in children and young adults. People with
Type 1 diabetes must take daily insulin injections to stay alive. Type 1
diabetes accounts for 5-10 percent of diabetes.

Type 2. A metabolic disorder resulting from the body's inability to make
enough, or properly use, insulin. It is the most common form of the
disease. Type 2 diabetes accounts for 90-95 percent of diabetes. Type 2
diabetes is nearing epidemic proportions, due to an increased number of
older Americans, and a greater prevalence of obesity and sedentary lifestyles.

Type 1 can occur at any stage of life..  that is fact..  the only reason
that it was ever called juvenile was because most Type 1s get it when they
are kids..  which according to the statistics on the IP site its between
the age of 10 and 13

I for one am one of those that you refer to as "medical community"  I am
also have type 1 diabetes dx'd at age 15.  I have also taught many kids and
adults that have been dx'd with both type one and type 2 diabetes (that
includes type 2 kids).

Diabetes is diabetes  support is needed for every type..  anyway what is in
a name?

Just my personal and professional opinion.  ;-)

Brian Carter
ICQ # 27217438
      *Message Boards*