[IP] Re: Gestational Diabetes

>>From: email @ redacted
Cindy: I must disagree with you when you say the gestational diabetes is
always type 2 and not type 1.  I developed gestational dm in my 8th month of
  pregnancy. I had been losing weight while eating almost continually and
and urinated all day and night.
While I had been seeing the gyn each month there at the end of my pregnancy,
I had never shown sugar in my urine.  One day, while outside showing my Mom my
flowers, I went into what I now know as hyperglycemia.
Could hardly walk back into the house, was literally soaked with sweat and
demanded bread with jelly on it.  I perspired so much while lying on the bed
  eating the jelly that the mattress were soaked. There after I saw my ob/gy and
that time, I was a "4+" in my urine sample..He took a blood test which he did
not get the results until the next day and called me to go the hospital
  immediately. My baby weighed alb 6 oz. which kind of proved I had only
developed DM
in the past month or 2.  She was normal.  I have never been insulin resistant
to this day and I was diagnosed in 1965.  This is why I cannot begin to agree
with your assumptions.   Just my thoughts.....Jackie P<<

Hi Jackie,

It sounds like you developed Type 1 diabetes while you were pregnant
and didn't have gestational diabetes (rare, but it happens).
Gestational diabetes is not Type 1, nor is it related to Type 1.
Hyperglycemia is a symptom of both Type 1 and 2 so that doesn't have
any significance.  If you didn't have insulin resistance with your
pregnancy, then your pregnancy probably unmasked Type 1.  I've copied
and pasted from
about this:

Many women who have gestational diabetes go on to develop type 2
diabetes years later.  There seems to be a link between the tendency
to have gestational diabetes and type 2 diabetes.  Gestational
diabetes and type 2 diabetes both involve insulin resistance.
Certain basic lifestyle changes may help prevent diabetes after
gestational diabetes.

Gestational diabetes usually goes away after pregnancy.  But once you've
had gestational diabetes, your chances are 2 in 3 that it will return in future
pregnancies.  In a few women, however, pregnancy uncovers type 1 or
type 2 diabetes.  It is hard to tell whether these women have
gestational diabetes or have just started showing their diabetes
during pregnancy.  These women will need to continue diabetes
treatment after pregnancy.