[IP] Really type 1 (renamed)

 My friend was diagnosed as a Type 1 at the age of 32. The symptoms of
his onset and diagnosis were nearly  identical to our daughter who was 10
at diagnosis. He had lost a lot of weight, was very thirsty and had all
the classic symptoms.

Does this make him any less of a Type 1? I don't understand why age has
anything to do with this.

His adjustment to diabetes has actually been more difficult than Jenny's.
He is single, lives away from family, and is uncomfortable socially
because he isn't sure how women will react. He actually went back to
shots because he didn't like being attached to the pump.

I don't think it's fair to say he isn't a Type 1. Medically, he is. His
pancreas isn't producing insulin. Socially and psychologically, he is

I'm sorry you are so angry about this.

  My philosophy is, you are not really a Type 1 (former juvenile diabetic)
  unless you were diagnosed as a child. If you haven't been a child taking shots
  dealing with diabetes, I don't care what the medical community calls it, you
  are not really a Type 1. Unless you have walked a mile in my shoes, don't
  think you know what juvenile diabetes is. I personally think that there should
  a new classification. Maybe insulin requiring Type 2 would be more
  appropriate, and in fact as I am a RN and review charts for a living, I see a
  lot of
  doctors really call it that. Perhaps the ADA should formally change the
   classifications as many doctors do it anyway. Just wanted to get this off my
  chest as
  it had bothered me for a long time.