[IP] Re: IP] re:Question about hypoglycemia and diabetes

At 04:00 PM 7/29/03, "Elizabeth Ramsey" <email @ redacted> wrote:
>Someone wrote in asking if hypoglycemic episodes are a precursor to adult
>onset type 1 diabetes. I, too, had hypoglycemic episodes long before I was
>diagnosed with DM. A diabetes educator told me that this often happens
>because the pancreas is beginning to malfunction by over producing insulin.
>She said that it IS in fact a warning sign that you may develop type 1 in the
>future.

I find this interesting.  I also remember having hypoglycemic episodes
before I was diagnosed.  You know, the ones where you can't think straight
and you shake because you've missed a meal?  One of my daughter's friends
is now pregnant and she told me that she's being tested for gestational
diabetes now because she gets hypoglycemic when she doesn't eat.

RoseLea