[IP] Re: Re: Use of oral agents in teenagers

 --- On Tue 07/29, Kress Family < email @ redacted > wrote:

 From: Kress Family [mailto: email @ redacted]To: email @ redacted:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:35:45 -0500Subject: [IP] Re: Re: Use of oral agents in
teenagersHi Liz,I don't subscribe to Diabetes Forecast (I get Diabetes Interview
which is an excellent magazine) so I'm at a disadvantage in commenting but if
the article stated that Type 1's are using oral agents in conjunction with
insulin, then they must be in the very, very small minority of Type 1's who
develop insulin resistance (a characteristic of Type 2) and now have both Type 1
and Type 2.
 Cindy, here is a url for you tto look up. http://www.ispad.org and in the
Abstract of the 2002 meeting, you will find two presentations on the use of oral
agents in adolecents with Type I diabetes. One was presented by a team from
Sweden and the other by a team from Canada. You need Adobe Acrobat to read them
but that is all. The first one is "Metformin Improves Glycemic Control in
Adolecents with Type I Diabete" S. Sarnblad, J. Aman, Dept. of Ped. Orebro
University Hospital, Dept. Of Women's and Children's Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden.
The second one is "Does the Addition of Metformin to Conventional Insulin
Therapy Improve Short-Term Outcome in Teens with Type I Diabetes", J.. Hamilton,
E. Cummings, V. Zdravkoviz, D. Finegood, D. Daneman., Hospital for Sick
Children, University of Toronto, Dalhousie and Simon Fraser universities,
 Next, the Diabetes Forecast I mentioned is the 2003 Sept issue and is on the
ADA web site. The article is under the Ask Us section and is not available to
read online.
 And third, Type I's who develop IR do not turn into Type II's anymore than Type
II's who start using insulin turn into Type I's...I did not automatically become
a Type I last June...I am still a Type II, my oldest stepdaughter is a Type I.
 And about being *insulin dependent*...I don't remember who mentioned that
one...I may not be dependent on insulin but I wouldn't be able to eat much of
anything either. I would have to keep my carb intake (all carbs, including
veggies) to under 20 a day). With insulin, I am able to keep it around 100-130.
So I am, as far as I feel...insulin dependent. Liz

Express Yourself - Share Your Mood in Emails!
Visit www.SmileyCentral.com - the happiest place on the Web.