[IP] RE:

I read the info on this site from various pumpers about using pills along
with insulin.  I had an appointment today with my endo who is very familiar
with pumps.  (He directed a Minimed study of implanted pumps starting in
1987 for which I was one of ten guinnea pigs.)  He said that using Avandia
is NOT recommended at all, but that using metforim IS a good idea and might
decrease my (large) insulin demand by 10%.  I start with 500 mg per day
(after my largest meal) and then, assuming no G-I problems, increase to 1000
mg with 500 mg after breakfast and 500 mg after dinner. I have been pumping
since 1981 and have been on insulin since 1956.  I hope that the metforim
(and my new diet) will help me take off the 14 pounds I seem to have gained
in the last three months.  Wish me luck.  (My endo also said that the
Avandia will/may cause weight gain.)