[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #416

In a message dated 7/27/2003 5:07:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Subject: [IP] Re: Type 1 vs. Type 2
> >>Here's the rub.
> Some Type 2 do indeed become insulin dependent. Pills alone certainly
> didn't do it and we're not getting a good result with the pair.<<
> Type 2's do not become Type 1's.  The poster said she WAS a Type 2
> but is now insulin dependent...not that she is an insulin dependent
> (or insulin using) Type 2.
> >>Also Type 1's become insulin resistant.<<
> If Type 1's become insulin resistant, then they have developed that
> resistance over time and now have Type 2 as well.  Type 1's do not
> have insulin resistance as a rule.  Few Type 1's develop Type 2 but
> it takes years to happen.
> >>I know of one teenager who was first diagnosed with Type 1 and now
> >>is being treated additionally with oral drugs because of the
> >>insulin resistant.<<
> Maybe the teenager was diagnosed improperly as a Type 1 because of
> his/her age.  Type 2 is such an epidemic that it isn't considered an
> adult disease anymore.
> >>Thus there is now a category called 1.5 since there are so many with both
> problems.  The biggest thing, is that we are usually all in the same
> boat and have to deal with the same issues.<<
> I don't agree that we are all in the same boat.  There are distinct
> differences between Type 1's and Type 2's.  The new category called
> 1.5 isn't for already diagnosed Type 1's (whose diabetes was caused
> by auto-immune problem) but for new adult diabetics who fit both
> categories upon diagnosis.  Type 1's and 1.5's are still in the less
> than 10% category vs. 90% of Type 2's.
> It's funny to me that we get upset that the general public doesn't
> understand diabetes and the differences between the types when I find
> that many on this list (who are diabetes themselves) don't either.  :
> )  I find this to be true of diabetics that I talk to in my home town
> as well.  There is a woman who is 50 lbs. or more overweight and was
> on oral meds for years and was recently put on insulin.  She just
> told me she is now a Type 1 diabetic!  GRRRRRR!  Makes me crazy,
> probably cause I'm the mom of a Type 1 diabetic, diagnosed when he
> was 9.  No oral meds or diet change for him, insulin injections from
> the get-go.  And I know that not all Type 2's are overweight.  My dad
> is Type 2 and is in great shape.  He is on oral meds right now and
> may progress to insulin, but he will always be a Type 2.

My philosophy is, you are not really a Type 1 (former juvenile diabetic)
 unless you were diagnosed as a child. If you haven't been a child taking shots
dealing with diabetes, I don't care what the medical community calls it, you
are not really a Type 1. Unless you have walked a mile in my shoes, don't
 think you know what juvenile diabetes is. I personally think that there should
a new classification. Maybe insulin requiring Type 2 would be more
 appropriate, and in fact as I am a RN and review charts for a living, I see a
lot of
doctors really call it that. Perhaps the ADA should formally change the
 classifications as many doctors do it anyway. Just wanted to get this off my
chest as
it had bothered me for a long time.