[IP] RE:

I couldn't agree with you more....your last statement....:)

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of
email @ redacted
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 10:38 AM
To: email @ redacted

If you are referring to what I said, you've completely misunderstood my

You appear to think the following is true:
>>This whole debate started from someone saying they had used oral meds
>>before insulin (not with) and now they are Type 1.   Someone else
>>said teens are being prescribed oral meds and I responded by saying
>>that would not be a treatment for Type 1 teens.  Oral meds for Type 1
>>diabetics is not a treatment option, period.  Unless they develop
>>insulin resistance and now have characteristics of both Type 1 and 2.

What I said, is that I was diagnosed with diabetes, took oral
medications WHICH DID NOT WORK, and was put on insulin.  Insulin is
still not controlling the situation which is why I am going to a pump.

As to oral medications, each class works differently than the rest.

The sulfonylureas stimulate the beta cells to produce more insulin.
This would NOT be affective for a Type I diabetic since their beta
cells don't work.

Prandin also stimulates surges of insulin which would not work with a
Type I for the same reason.

Metforim decreases liver production of glucose and also affects insulin
sensitivity, thus it might help a Type I.

Avandia decreases insulin resistance, which again, might be helpful for
a Type I

The bad news is that all of the above medications have known side
effects which cause almost as many problems as they solve.