Re: [IP] Re: Re: Use of oral agents in teenagers

Below is one study showing the use of Metformin with type 1 patients.  It is
being used ( and being used successfully) for some type 1 teenagers and
others - not just older insulin type 1s who have developed insulin
resistance.  I did a search and found quite a few other articles, but links
don't send well.  I've included this article because it is short and sweet.

Metformin adjunctive therapy with insulin improves glycemic control in
patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a pilot study.

Gomez R, Mokhashi MH, Rao J, Vargas A, Compton T, McCarter R, Chalew SA.

Endocrinology/Diabetes, LSU Health Sciences Center and Children's Hospital,
New Orleans, LA 70118, USA.

Metformin lowers blood glucose by reducing hepatic glucose output and
improving insulin sensitivity without requiring an increase in circulating
insulin concentration. We hypothesized that metformin could be used
adjunctively with insulin to improve glycemic control in type 1 diabetes
mellitus (DM). We conducted a 6-month open-label pilot study in 10
adolescents and young adults with type 1 DM, 19.1 +/- 3.4 years, 4 males, 6
females, and body mass index 26.3 +/- 3.1 kg/m2. Patients started metformin
at a dose of 250 mg b.i.d.; the dose was increased until blood glucose was
within an optimal target range or a maximum of 2,500 mg/d was reached.
Insulin dose was reduced as needed to prevent hypoglycemia. Seven patients
had an average decrease in HbA(1c) of 11% from pretreatment. These
responders had no change in insulin dose, BMI or lipid levels during the
study. Three patients had no improvement of HbA(1c) on therapy. We conclude
that some patients with type 1 DM will have improved glycemic control on
adjunctive metformin therapy. Evaluation of the long-term benefit and safety
of adjunctive therapy in patients with type 1 DM is warranted.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial

PMID: 12387512 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]