[IP] Re: Use of oral agents in teenagers

>>> if the article stated that Type 1's are using oral
agents in conjunction with insulin, then they must be in the very,
very small minority of Type 1's who develop insulin resistance (a
characteristic of Type 2) and now have both Type 1 and Type 2.>>>

Here's my story, and I'm sticking to it. ;-) When I got pg in '60 after 10
yrs of IDDM, they knew nothing about hormones, insulin resistance,
trimesters affecting BGs, etc. Hey, I had one BG done at the lab a month -
and NO A1c's. The internist was concerned that too much insulin would harm
the baby (they weren't fetuses then, they were babies) so he put me on DBI -
the first oral agent for Adult Onsets. After birth, I continued that regimen
for the next 16 years. A drugologist (pharmacist to some people) even
questioned me about the use as it was for older people.

At the 16-yr point of DBI use (26 yrs of IDDM), I could not keep my BG
raised - had 17 lows in one week. Of course, I had no home BG capabilities,
but I knew I was low. I had changed doctors and he didn't believe me. I even
had to go to the ER cuz I ate cupcakes, honey, ice cream, candy and still
felt very low. The doc went to a meeting and forgot me in the ER. I was very
angry and said, "Give me my purse and I'll eat more candy and get out of
here!!!!"  He came in and said I wasn't too bad off since I tested at 120.
Wellllll, that was AFTER ingesting all that high-carb stuff, so I was low. I
told him that was probably my high for the day!

Anyhoo, the new doc after that one took me off DBI and I seemed to *settle
down*. Now, was it the DBI lowering my BG? I think so. There was no change
made in my insulin dosage - the same as it was for years and years cuz we
didn't know how to adjust. Pee tests (if you did them) told nothing.

BTW, DBI was taken off the market cuz it was harmful - same as the Seldane
and Cyclmates and some others I took for years and years. I'm not going to
die from DM, I'm going to die from the use of all the stuff that was
supposed to help me but, harmful. (~_^)  Oh - YMMMV!

Doctors can be frustrating. You wait a month-and-a-half for an appointment,
and s/he says, I wish you'd come to me sooner.