[IP] Re:questions about hypoglycemia and diabetes

In a message dated 7/28/2003 10:41:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Gestational diabetes leads to Type 2, not Type 1 diabetes.  Women who
> develop gestational diabetes have trouble with insulin resistance,
> the same problem that occurs for many Type 2's.  It's very common for
> them to go on to develop Type 2 at some point.

I am not so sure about the above statement. I also had gestational diabetes
at age 35 with my first pregnancy. Ten years later I had rapid weight loss,
exhaustion, thirst and itchy skin and was diagnosed with Type 2. When diet and
oral meds failed to bring my numbers down (and I was on the maximum dosage of
glucophage and glipizide): more tests (including c-peptide), were performed a
 few months later. My endo then diagnosed Type 1 and I was immediately placed on
insulin (now an insulin pump). I do not, and never had, insulin resistance and
my TDD is approximately 28 units per day (and I love, and eat, pizza). With
the exception of cataracts, I am currently without complications and enjoying
good A1C's.