From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of Kress Family
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 8:36 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Re: Re: Use of oral agents in teenagers

>>From: "Elizabeth Ramsey" <email @ redacted>
Cindy, according to the Sept 2003 issue of Diabetes Forecast pg 20, several
oral agents are being used with type I's in conjunction with their insulin
reguime, metformin is the one mentioned. Liz&lt;br&gt;

Hi Liz,

I don't subscribe to Diabetes Forecast (I get Diabetes Interview
which is an excellent magazine) so I'm at a disadvantage in
commenting but if the article stated that Type 1's are using oral
agents in conjunction with insulin, then they must be in the very,
very small minority of Type 1's who develop insulin resistance (a
characteristic of Type 2) and now have both Type 1 and Type 2.

This whole debate started from someone saying they had used oral meds
before insulin (not with) and now they are Type 1.   Someone else
said teens are being prescribed oral meds and I responded by saying
that would not be a treatment for Type 1 teens.  Oral meds for Type 1
diabetics is not a treatment option, period.  Unless they develop
insulin resistance and now have characteristics of both Type 1 and 2.

Would you clarify what the article says.  Does it state that Type 1's
are being treated with oral agents?  Or does it say that after having
Type 1 for years they have now developed insulin resistance, a
condition associated with Type 2.  Insulin resistance is not a
characteristic of Type 1.

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99