Subject: [IP] questions about hypoglycemia and diabetes

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:13:35 -0500
From: "Anita C. Goode" <email @ redacted>

Is there anyone here who was diagnosed as an adult who
had episodes of low blood sugar YEARS before their diagnosis?  I tested
positive for islet cell antibodies, so I'm officially a type 1.  Also,
when I had the glucose tolerance test (over 15 years before my official
diagnosis) it didn't show that I had hypoglycemia.

I was first diagnosed with gestational diabetes in 1993 at age 29. 4 years
later I developed "D" again and was told I was Type 2, not I'm officially Type
1.  I had episodes of low blood sugar  through out my pre teen years and into
adulthood, sometimes bad enough to make me pass out.  I'm sure my BGs were
messed up all along but nobody had the brains to figure it out.  A fasting BG
test in my early 20's had my blood sugar at 32.  I was not ever stupid enough
to skip breakfast because I knew how lousy I felt if I did.  I kept candy in
my purse in case I got shaky at other times.  No one ever addressed these
problems but I am sure my pancreas was on it's downhill slide.  I hope my
daughter is not going to follow in my footsteps.  She seems fine for now,
thank God.

Yessi Palmer