Re: [IP] Preparing For C-Peptide Test

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:53:39 -0500, Jan Clinthorne wrote:
 >I've been doing some reading online about the C-Peptide test.  I
 >had one, and the results didn't make much sense to me~most of the
 >that I read have said that insulin can cause a false reading.   So my
 >results it sounds like are worthless because I had my pump running.  I
 >understand that there are some diabetics that take oral meds in
addition to
 >insulin, and that too can cause problems with test results.

  "insulin can cause a false reading"
It seems to me that if someone still had some beta cells, capable of
producing endogenous insulin and c-peptide, the presence of injected or
infused insulin would tend to suppress the production of endogenous
insulin and c-peptide, and thus give a false low c-peptide reading. I
haven't seen anything about lab instructions to the patient to stop
taking insulin before the test, and I have no intention of turning off
or disconnecting my pump, for Medicare or anyone else!

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000