Re:[IP] Comparing insurance notes

At 10:55 AM 7/26/03, "Kathleen Weaver" <email @ redacted> wrote:
>What plan you get depends on a couple of factors:  how big is the group is
>the biggest factor.  The other factor is how much does the company want to
>spend on insurance.  Thus they will go to the table and bargain (I'm not
>exactly sure they always are, but it can involve multiple companies).
>So what your plan has and does depends entirely on the size of the group
>and the negotiating power they have.

While I agree with this to a point, I must comment here.  My husband's
company is a very small company located in Michigan.    The company only
has about 20 full-time employees covered under the insurance.  We currently
have BC/BS Community Blue PPO.  My durable medical equipment is covered
100% all paid, no ceiling.  My prescription coverage is $5 generic/$10
non-generic.  Yes, the premium is higher and we pay a portion of it.  The
reason we have such good insurance, however, is because the owner of the
company also has this insurance, and he wants the best for himself.  This
has made a big difference for us.  And, they did negotiate the prescription
coverage since at that time, BC was not offering that option.   So there
are a lot of factors that determine how good your insurance coverage may be.