Re: [IP] Free Insulin.

Perhaps so, but I didn't list all of the advantages.  On the 4-shot NPH
regimen, I was able to have fewer lows, and avoid the dawn phenomenon
that I experienced heavily on Lantus.  Also, the 6.9 was the LAST A1c
that I had on the 4-shot NPH before switching to Lantus.  My switch to
Lantus resulted in A1c levels back to 7.1, which resulted in more lows
as well as more morning highs.

Had I continued on the 4-shot NPH regimen, I'm sure that my A1c levels
would have dropped a bit more...probably to the 6.7 range.  I was on a
downward trend as I perfected my basal rates.

Anyhow, as I mentioned...it is all pointless now, since I'm on the
pump.  :-)  But, for those who are not yet, you really CAN get better
control (albeit with less convenience) on NPH than you can on Lantus if
you are willing to switch to a 3 or 4 shot-a-day regimen (in addition
to any additional bolus amounts).

(BTW, my doctor pushed Lantus so much because he was one of the doctors
who conducted the research trials on it before it came out.  He claimed
that it would do what I was attempting to do with the 4 shots of
NPH...creating a steady basal.  He forgot, however, that my basal rate
throughout the day is NOT steady.  :-)  After a year on Lantus, I
switched to pumping.