[IP] FW: TAG or Calculating Glucose Effect of Carbs, Proteins and Fats

I see some discussion of the effect of proteins and fats on glucose as well
as carbs. Let me relate what I have found out works for me (YMMV).

Shortly after starting on insulin (Oct '02, a newbie) I quickly realized
that something besides carbs had to be effecting my blood sugar. I read in
Dr Bernstein's book that about 50% of Proteins were eventually converted to
carbs, so I started including that in my calculations and my control
improved. Then I learned about the TAG (Total Available Glucose) method and
researched it. This method was published in the late 80's are early 90's;
The book is out of print but was available on ebay; however the methodology
is as follows: based on the standard nutrition label provided with purchased
food items:
1) Start with the Carb Count, subtract the Fiber to get Effective Carbs from
2) Multiply Proteins by .58 to get Effective Carbs from Proteins
3) Multiply Fats by .10 go get Effective Cabs from Fats.
Add 1) 2) and 3) together to get Total Effective Carbs
The book has a lot of tables in it, but the concept is given above.

I use a simple Excel Spreadsheet in my PDA to do the calculation and use the
resulting number with my Carb Ratio to arrive at my insulin requirements for
the meal.

When I stay on my normal low carb diet this works extremely well for me.
Normally my 2 hr post-meal blood glucose is the same as my pre-meal glucose.
I do notice with a high fat meal, it can take as long as 5 hours for the
full effect to hit; so I have to spread out the insulin. I don't have this
full effect worked out since I prefer low-fat meals. I just treat the
high-fat meals as an exceptions.