From: Tom Beatson [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 4:00 PM
To: Insulin Pumpers
Subject: [IP] Re: diabetic comas

It seems to me that the community of diabetics has distorted the
original meaning of "diabetic coma", and apparently the medical
community is letting them get away with it. I started out with a
legitimate diabetic coma in 1942 so I've been there. I was taught that
diabetic coma is unconsciousness due to very high ketones and very
abnormal chemistry along with very high blood sugar. Unconsciousness
due to very low blood sugar is very different, and requires very
different treatment. By referring to unconsciousness due to low blood
sugar as "diabetic coma" or "coma", you guys are just helping to
confuse the rest of the world, and making it more difficult for
diabetics to get the treatment they really need. If you persist in
calling unconsciousness due to low BG a "coma", I refuse to go along
with the confusion.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000