Re: [IP] Re:Thallium Stress Test

In a message dated 07/20/2003 10:50:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> On Sunday, July 20, 2003, Rose at <email @ redacted> wrote:
> >I'll be going for a Thallium Stress Test in a couple days.  They said
> >it would
> >take 3-4 hours, not to have any caffeine and wear comfortable shoes and
> >clothes.  Any other suggestions or tips on what to do?  I plan on
> >doing a
> >temporary basal and cutting down by 50% for an hour before and during
> >the
> >test.
> >
> Well, YMMV, but I have had three or four Thallium Stress Tests since
> being on the pump, and I, personally, generally end up needing a bit
> more insulin, not less.  (There actually is stress, in more ways than
> one <gr.>.)  At the center where I have had it done, I don't believe
> they actually have me on the treadmill for more than 9 minutes, which
> is not really long enough to reduce my insulin need significantly.
> They infuse the Thallium a minute before they stop the treadmill.  Then
> there is a long period of lying still in the scanner, a long period of
> waiting around, and another long period of lying in the scanner --
> that's what takes up all the time.
>  "jhughey" <email @ redacted> wrote
> >BTW, you just lie there with a thallium stress test so no activity
> >involved
> >that would cause you to go low.
> Jan, perhaps they induced the stress by drugs for you, instead of the
> treadmill?  Since they told Rose to wear comfortable shoes and clothes,
> I imagine she is going to be on the treadmill, unless she has some
> other problem.  But, yes, after the initial stress, you do just lie
> there, and for a long time.
> I've actually always been told to not eat before the test.
> Linda Z

Linda I agree with all you said. I have had 3 of them and will have the 4th
this fall. They can induce the stress with drugs, which will increase your
 heart rate. I think they want you to get to 120 beats per minute. I am like you
Linda I got to the third level on the tread mill where they incline it up and
speed it up.  Roger C