[IP] Re: Bolusing for Pizza

> Barbara, where did you get the info on carbs. I'm guessing the food comes
> from a resturaunt
> and is not prepared at home.

Jim, we sorta guessed the first time on the carbs.   We
checked a carb book put out by the hospital,  a carb/calorie
book I had, plus took a look at the Calorie King website
(www.calorieking.com)  under Fast Food Restaurants -- I
think there were two oriental restaurants listed.     Then we
sorta averaged out the answer based on all that input.

We never eat at the restaurant, but bring it home instead.
I always have him measure it (one of the few foods we do
actually physically measure).      And we'd heard that chinese
food was a problem for a lot of people so we decided to
do 50% of the bolus when eating and the other 50% extended.
Two hours was the time frame that worked best for him.    We
tried it at one hour,  two hours, and three hours, and the two
hour was what worked best for him.

It's the same for pizza, or ice cream.    We've found he has
to do the extended bolus otherwise he would tend to crash soon
after the meal but then skyrocket about 2 hours later.

As with everything else pertaining to DM, it's just trial and
error.    I once believed his Dr. and CDE had all the answers!
They don't.     Be open minded on receiving advise from the list,
try suggestions, and then do what works best for you.

Barbara A. Petzoldt - Pump Mama to Zachary (13 1/2,  Dx 2/93, 508 2/02,
Paradigm  8/16/02,  and now ANIMAS IR1000  3/18/03 ) --------and MaMa to
Jennifer (turning 21 this summer), Allison (18), Rachel (7)
Fenton, MO